When the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum first opened its doors to the public at 12 o’clock noon on July 6, 1974, an era of exciting automotive history came brilliantly to life. That summer Saturday was the culmination of dreams, held by many, that a permanent institution would be created as a lasting tribute to Auburn’s rich motorcar heritage. Never before had there been proposed an automobile museum inhabiting the auto builder’s original factory showroom building.
But such was the historical context conceived by a band of visionaries – local citizens believing passionately in the possibility of a museum – who would not give up their goal of rescuing the 1930 administration building of Auburn Automobile Company.
After the demise of the Auburn company in 1937, the factory showroom and headquarters served as a parts and restoration center for the obsolete Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg cars. Surprisingly, this activity lasted through the 1940s and 1950s, under the name Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Company, directed by entrepreneur Dallas Winslow. When Winslow sold the business in 1960, the building fell into misuse and ill repair. Machine shops, garment manufacturers, auto and motorcycle lots and industrial warehousing ravaged the historic structure. By the early 1970s, the handsome art deco edifice was grimy, weather-beaten and modified beyond recognition inside.
Today the museum has grown to be the leading auto repository of its kind, with 140 vintage, antique, classic and special interest cars occupying the galleries once roamed by E.L. Cord, Roy Faulkner, Alan Leamy and Gordon Buehrig. Thousands of visitors come to Auburn each year to learn the museum’s story. By 1990, more than one million tourists had passed through.
Family and group rates available! Open 7 days a week from 9am to 5 pm. Admission: $12.50 Adults / $7.50 under 18yrs of age/ Children 5 & under free. $32 Family Pass