Explore Fort Wayne's Three Rivers
Since Fort Wayne’s establishment, our three rivers: the St. Marys, the St. Joseph, and the Maumee, have been an intrinsic part of the city. From adventuring the trails along the river, to getting out onto the blueways, there are plenty of opportunities for you to experience and bond with the water!
Play on the Rivers
If you’re ready to venture onto the waters, you can do it by canoe, single or double kayak, or standing paddleboard. Fort Wayne Outfitters rents all three at hourly, half-day, and full-day rates. You can also rent canoes or kayaks from Earth Adventures Unlimited. This is a great way to see the city! Check out a few of our suggested water trails here.
Experience the city by taking a boat ride on one of the three rivers in Downtown Fort Wayne.
You can enjoy rides along the river this summer with:
NEW! Travel Fort Wayne Rivers on Sweet Breeze, Fort Wayne’s authentic 1840s canal boat replica. This is not a boat ride, it’s an experience! Both 90 and 45 minute tours are available to entertain riders with colorful river lore stories, Fort Wayne history from the riverbank and muddy water tales. You’ll leave your voyage knowing more about our city, our heritage, and our water supply. Ticket prices range from $5-$30 and can be purchased from the Friends of the Rivers website: forfw.org or at fwoutfitters.com. All rides depart from Headwaters East for the 2017 season. For reservations and ride information, call Fort Wayne Outfitters: (260) 420-3962
NEW! Duck Boat - Visitors can also enjoy a 90-minute land and water tour on Fort Wayne’s new “duck boat,” an amphibious vehicle that offers sightseers downtown views as part of a 90-minute guided land-and-water tour. The vintage DUKW was built for military use during World War II, when troops and supplies needed to be moved quickly from ship to shore and back again, but many have been popularly adapted for recreational tourism uses.Rides will be $22 for adults and $10 for children. Reserve your spot after June 1 at FWOutfitters.com.
- Captain Black Boat Tours - Enjoy tours of the St. Marys and St. Joseph Rivers in Downtown Fort Wayne with a pontoon ride provided by Fort Wayne Outfitters and Bike Depot. Tours are private for groups of up to 12 passengers. A standard tour cost $250, and a Deluxe Tour (includes food & beverage) cost $350. You may bring your own food and drink. Reserve your tour by calling (260) 420-3962.
- Historic Riverfront Fort Wayne Boat Tours – If history is your thing, grab a seat aboard one of the historic tour boat rides presented by Riverfront Fort Wayne and the Fort Wayne Parks department. Boat tours take place every other Thursday and Sunday through September. Ages 12 and over only. $12 per person.
- Airboat Rides – Feel the breeze, and take a fun airboat ride on Fridays or Saturdays at The Deck. Rides are by reservation only during the evenings of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings 6 pm – 9 pm. Rides begin and end at the dock below The Deck and cost $20 per person. Contact Mike Gasdorf at MGasdorf@frontier.com to reserve your ride!
- River City Ventures – Two hour minimum booking, $25 per person for 2 hours, up to 14 people. You are welcome to bring food and drink of your choice, or the Deck will stock a cooler with your choice of beverages at a discounted rate. Call 260-403-1911 to book.
*Stay tuned for updates on how you can reserve these river cruises.
Parks and Trails
Fort Wayne is home to 86 parks and more than 90 miles of trails, the most prominent of which is Rivergreenway. The Rivergreenway Trail stretches 25 miles from Fort Wayne to New Haven, winding along the banks of the rivers. This trail is perfect for walking, jogging, rollerblading, biking, and more.
Rent a bike with Fort Wayne Outfitters who make it easy for you to hop on a trail and enjoy the river scenery.
Riverfront Fort Wayne
In the coming years, you’ll find even more ways to explore the rivers as a result of the RiverFront Fort Wayne project, a plan to develop the rivers and make them more accessible.
As Fort Wayne builds a vibrant community along our rivers, visitors and residents can still enjoy many events and activities right now with some of the following Riverfront Fort Wayne programming —
- YLNI Concert Series
- Middle Waves
- Art Benches – Take a stroll along the Fort Wayne Rivergreenway and make sure you stop to take a break on one of the benches decorated by local artists.
- Early Bird Nature Walk & Bike Rides
- Yoga, Fitness, Storytime, and Books on the Bridge
- Margarita Monday Paddle Socials
- Faces of the Fort
- Indiana Kayak Anglers State Fishing Tournament
- Bands on the Banks
- Surprise Cinema
And much more!
Riverfront Access and Parking Map
For more information, visit riverfrontfw.org