Heather’s Mommies Get Married: Homophobia, Censorship and Family Values
- Is this a Free Event? Yes
- Venue: Plymouth Congregational Church of Fort Wayne
- Presented by: Heartland Sings
- Dates: October 6, 2018
- Address: 501 W Berry Street Fort Wayne, IN 46802
- Times: 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM
- Admission: Free
- Phone: (260) 436-8080
- Website: Visit Website
- Email: E-mail
- Wheelchair Accessibility: Yes
Author, Lesléa Newman, will be giving several presentations in conjunction with Heartland Sings Oct. 7th Midwest premiere production of October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard.
“Heather’s Mommies Get Married: Homophobia, Censorship and Family Values”
Lesléa Newman discusses her classic children’s book, Heather Has Two Mommies: why she wrote the book, how difficult it was to get it published, the controversies that arose as it became one of the most controversial books ever published. She then discusses the rights of gay and lesbian families and delves into the history of the LGBT marriage movement. Includes a slide show (with photos from Lesléa’s own wedding!) and video.