Nothing says winter in the Midwest like some comfort food. There's something about cold weather that makes you crave warm and hearty fare. If you're looking for some local options to satisfy cravings, here are a few of my favorites:
• Casa Restaurants: Casa has several locations in Fort Wayne, but you cannot go wrong with any of them. Here you'll find classic pasta dishes, pizza, sandwiches, etc. Check here for a list of locations.
• Bahn Thai: Personally, I find that a Thai curry will warm you inside and out. Maybe it's the spices? In any case, Bahn Thai will treat you right. Located at 4634 Coldwater Rd. (260) 471 - 2929
• Panera: While not an independent business, Panera is a treat for those who might have not one in their hometown. I recommend a bowl of their broccoli and cheddar or black bean soup. Click here for a list of locations.
• Friends Too: If you've ever had Greek food you know that it keeps you full for hours. Friends Too serves up Greek favorites like spanakopita and gyros, as well as some American favorites. Oh, and the prices are very reasonable. Happy tummies and happy wallets! Located at 3720 W. Jefferson Blvd. (260) 755-0894
• The Friendly Fox: This neighborhood café lives up to its name. The friendly staff serves up fresh and gourmet treats. I recommend their panini grilled cheese and soup. And don't forget a hot beverage. They'll serve up your favorite with a smile. Located at 4001 S. Wayne Ave. (260) 745-3369
• 800 Degrees: This local franchise has earned a reputation for fresh ingredients and reasonable prices. Their wood-fired pizza is second to none. I recommend the Pomodoro. Insider's Note: the pizzas are large enough to share, so plan accordingly. Click here to see their locations.
• Cindy's Diner: If you're looking for a heavy breakfast, this 50s style diner is your place. The best part: breakfast is served all day! But if you're in the mood for something else, you can enjoy traditional diner items like hamburgers, grilled sandwiches, french fries and milkshakes.
Find even more dining options for the cold winter months on Visit Fort Wayne's website