The Genealogy Center and the expert genealogists who work there are a treasure trove of family history information. Even if you can’t visit the Genealogy Center in person, their services, information, and collection can be accessed virtually! One of their greatest gifts is their monthly virtual programming. Every month the Genealogy Center plans programs for you to enjoy twice a week.
The Genealogy Center is open for researchers. Physical distancing measures have been put in place including public computer stations spaced out six feet apart, and plexiglass shields have been installed at service points. Staff and all customers will be required to wear masks while in the building.
Access the Genealogy Center from Anywhere!
Researching in person at the Genealogy Center is a great experience. But, the second-best experience is researching your family history from the comfort of your home with access to Genealogy Center’s FREE resources virtually!
Through the Genealogy Center’s website, you can access digitized materials, explore portals featuring resources on specific subjects and research guides, or ask a genealogy librarian a question. For further information and resources, be sure to sign up for the Genealogy Center’s monthly Genealogy Gem newsletter, explore their YouTube playlist featuring previously recorded programs, and watch their Facebook page for updates!
Monthly Virtual Programming
Speaking of virtual programming, the Genealogy Center is offering online programs twice a week.
Each month, the Genealogy Center staff will provide virtual sessions that cover topics like the Periodical Source Index (PERSI), researching with Digital Primary Sources, and evaluating Ancestry’s public member trees. Mark your calendars to learn how to take your family history research to the next level with this month’s virtual programs!
- August 4 at 6:30 PM - Genealogy Starts With a Question: Beginning Family History Research with Allison DePrey Singleton
- August 9 at 2:30 PM - Why They Left: A Conversation About the Irish Diaspora with Elizabeth Hodges
- August 11 at 6:30 PM - Expanding your family tree with DNA: Telling the story of your family with Charting Companion & Family Tree Maker with Pierre Clouthier
- August 16 at 2:30 PM - Where They Lived: Immigrant Neighborhoods in US Cities with Elizabeth Hodges
- August 18 at 6:30 PM - Ask the Experts: PERSI with Allison DePrey Singleton & Elizabeth Hodges
- August 23 at 2:30 PM - Death Heads and Clasped Hands: Cemetery Symbolism and Iconology for Genealogists with John Beatty
- August 25 at 6:30 PM - Finding Your Ancestral Homeland with Sara Allen
- August 30 at 2:30 PM - Discover Your Irish Family History in Beyond 2022’s Virtual Record Treasury with Elizabeth Hodges
Register for the virtual sessions in advance by following the links above or navigating to the event listings at GenealogyCenter.org.
And, if you visit the Genealogy Center in-person, you'll be treated to one of the best places in the country to research your family history! With the skills and information you learn in the virtual sessions, you'll have even more tools to help you in discovering your family history.