Fort Wayne, Indiana is the second-largest city in Indiana and the seat of Allen County. It’s a fun, friendly place packed with activities for your next vacation. Fort Wayne is easy to reach by car, bus, or air travel and offers ample parking (often free!)
This blog has all the info you need to plan a fantastic spring getaway to Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Spring Getaway Guide to Fort Wayne, Indiana
How To Get Here
Fort Wayne is accessible by car from all directions, and we’re just a few hours from most major Midwest cities. Use our handy Map Explorer tool to plan your travel route.
- Fort Wayne International Airport (FWA) is about 20 minutes south of downtown by car.
- Smith Field serves smaller aircraft and is about 15 minutes north of downtown by car.
Greyhound bus station is located downtown at 121 West Baker Street. Call (260) 423-9525 for ticket info.
This is just a sample of the things you can see and do in Fort Wayne. For the big list, visit our Things To Do page.
- The Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo opens for the season on April 24, 2021. See the Monkey Island exhibit and River Otter exhibit, African lions, Sumatran tigers, and adorable red pandas at one of the nation's top-ranked zoos! Location: 3411 Sherman Blvd., 46808
- Science Central is filled with interactive, hands-on science exhibits and offers daily auditorium shows. Location: 1950 North Clinton St., 46805
- Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory is an oasis of nature located in the heart of downtown Fort Wayne! The "Color in Motion" Live Butterfly Exhibit is a must-see this spring, which guests can experience from April 10 - June 27. Location: 1100 South Calhoun St., 46802
Arts & Music
Fort Wayne boasts a rich culture of arts and music. Visit our Arts page to get acquainted with the local scene, or check out these individual selections:
- Fort Wayne Museum of Art offers diverse exhibitions of contemporary and historical art. There’s even a fun space set up just for kids! Location: 311 East Main St., 46802
- Explore the Fort Wayne Mural Map, featuring nearly 40 murals and sculptures dotted around the city. Many are located downtown, but you can also find them in other areas of Fort Wayne. The best part? It's free to see these incredible pieces of public art!
- Fort Wayne Civic Theatre has celebrated more than 90 years of live theatre! Catch a production of Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap" from May 1 – 16. Location: 303 East Main St., 46802
- The Fort Wayne Ballet, Indiana's longest-running professional ballet company, brings you "Tchaikovsky Enchanted" from March 26 – 28! Catch excerpts from Tchaikovsky's most popular and beautiful scores. Location: Arts United Center, 303 East Main St., 46802
- Komet Hockey season run will run through early June for the 2021 season. Fort Wayne’s ECHL hockey team plays home games at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. Komet Hockey games are always a great time! Click here for ticket info.
- TinCaps Baseball kicks off its 2021 season with the home opener on May 4. The Fort Wayne TinCaps play home games at Parkview Field, one of the nation's highest-rated minor league ballparks! TinCaps games offer affordable family fun, plus some of the best views of our downtown skyline. Click here for ticket info.
- Soccer fans won't want to miss the new Fort Wayne FC in action this spring! Playing in the Great Lakes Division of the United Soccer League Two (USL2), Fort Wayne FC's inaugural season kicks off in early May. With former US Men's National Team star DeMarcus Beasley joining the team's ownership, it's sure to be an exciting season! Find schedule updates here.
Rivers & Trails
- Promenade Park is the Midwest's newest destination—and it's calling your name! Explore this brand new park on the banks of the St. Marys Rivers in the heart of downtown Fort Wayne. Click here to see what Promenade Park has to offer.
- The Rivergreenway is a 25-mile linear park maintained by the City of Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation Department. Spend a sunny afternoon walking, running, or biking our trails along one of Fort Wayne’s three rivers. Click here for more info.
- Bike, Canoe, and Kayak Rentals are available at Fort Wayne Outfitters & Bike Depot. Click here for the FWOBD website.
- Glenbrook Mall is a great destination for shopping! Enjoy some of your favorite stores in this super-regional shopping center.
- Jefferson Pointe Shopping Center is a great place for an outdoor shopping experience. Enjoy the beautiful spring weather while you shop at upscale stores such as Von Maur, Ann Taylor Loft, Vera Bradley, and more.
- If you're looking to explore Fort Wayne's boutiques, then you should also map out your shopping experience with our boutiques listing!
Fort Wayne has waaaaay too many fantastic dining options to fit into one blog. Check out the Visit Fort Wayne restaurant portal and search away! Plus, get to the good stuff with our Best of Dining lists.
- Three Rivers Distilling Company is Northeast Indiana’s first artisan distillery. Tours and workshops are available. Call ahead at (260) 745-9355 or visit the distillery’s website.
- Country Heritage Winery & Vineyard is located just north of Fort Wayne in LaOtto, Indiana. Visit the Country Heritage website for events and a tasting room schedule.
- Mad Anthony Brewing Company is a microbrewery/restaurant located in downtown Fort Wayne. This family-friendly establishment often hosts live music. Visit the Mad Anthony website to browse the menu and event schedule. Plus, hop on the Northern Indiana Beer Trail for some great brews in Fort Wayne.
There are many national/international hotel chains in town, and some great bed & breakfast options as well. Search the Visit Fort Wayne hotels page to find your perfect sleep spot, and browse deals available with Hotel Packages.
Fort Wayne Savings Pass
Eat, play, and SAVE when you visit Fort Wayne! Sign up for the FREE mobile savings pass for discounts at Fort Wayne restaurants, attractions, boutiques, and more. Enjoy more than $200 in savings — right at your fingertips. Get your Savings Pass.
This post was originally published in February 2017 and has been updated. Last updated: March 2021