Moving to a new city can be intimidating, especially when you've never visited the city before your move and don't know any locals. This was me in 2008. I moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana for my career after living in Ohio all my life. Not knowing anyone in the city, I ventured into resources offered to the public to find my way around initially. Here are some of my personal tips:
- For rental housing information check out the Apartment Association of Fort Wayne. This group exists to protect renters and landlords alike, and provides an extremely comprehensive apartment guide and search function on their website. In addition, you can call the association with any questions you may have about housing.
- For purchasing a home, finding a realtor is more of a personal search. Utilize search engines to research realtors in the Fort Wayne area. Or contact the Indiana Association of Realtors, serving more than 16,000 realtors across the state, for insight on finding the perfect match for your needs.
- For basic information on the city and to pick up a phone book, I stopped by the Greater Fort Wayne Chamber of Commerce. The chamber can not only provide brochures about the city, but they are familiar with local businesses, events and organizations. Staff here can help answer additional questions you may have as a newcomer -- even if it's as simple as finding out what local banks serve the area.
- Local media outlets are great for educating a new resident. Fort Wayne is home to two daily newspapers, The Journal Gazette and The News-Sentinel. Both newspapers post stories on their websites and are available locally for purchase and subscription. Additionally, local broadcast news is available on a number of channels with local affiliates for ABC/NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS. For local radio the options are endless, and Fort Wayne has a NPR affiliate as well.
- Lastly, check out the great resources provided by Visit Fort Wayne -- the number one resource providing information and insight on the community events and activities to locals and visitors alike. Visit Fort Wayne offers relocation and community guides, a moving checklist, a community directory, medical facility guide and more. And be sure to follow the Visit Fort Wayne Twitter and Facebook accounts for all your social media needs too.