Zombies, ghosts and ghouls - oh my! Fright Night is back again in downtown Fort Wayne, and there are plenty of chances to get in on all of the Halloween themed fun! It all takes place on October 19th starting in the morning and goes on well into the night. Being scared not your thing? No problem! There are plenty of events on the more fun side perfect for those with a low scare tolerance, and families of all ages!
I have personally never attended a Fright Night before which I am finding out is a complete no no. Technically I have been around Fright Night for the annual screening of Rocky Horror Picture Show (my favorite Halloween-esque movie besides Hocus Pocus), but everything else is pretty foreign to me. I'm hoping to change that this year, so that I can see what all of the hype is about! Even though I've never really ventured out on this night of fright, I am pretty familiar with the goings on. Many of my friends have participated and I love seeing their photos each year, especially pictures from the Zombie Walk! There's nothing quite like seeing your usually very normal, pretty friends walking around with blood and flesh dripping from their faces. So, to better familiarize myself with everything Fright Night has to offer, I asked some of my friends, family and co-workers what the "can't miss" fright night events are. Family Fun: Even though it is called Fright Night, there are plenty of things to do that celebrate the fun side of the season.
- Botanical Conservatory Pumpkin Zone - If you love all things pumpkins, this is the place to be! The Botanical Conservatory will transform into a pumpkin playground with pumpkin putt-putt, pumpkin crafts, pumpkin carvers, pumpkin seed tasting, and much more! This event is perfect for families with little ones who want to enjoy the fall festivities. Admission is $3 for ages 3-17 and $5 for adults - children 2 and under are FREE. The Pumpkin Zone will be open from 10am-3pm. For more information check out the Botanical's website.
- Grand Wayne Center/Hilton Hotel Ghostly Gala - There are many ways to get down and enjoy a party during Fright Night, but Ghostly Gala is one that families can enjoy together! This not so scary costume party and dance has a little something for everyone. A DJ is on-hand to keep the monsters mashing and Science Central will be there serving up their special Zombie Snot. There will also be plenty of coloring sheets on hand for little artists to show off their skills. Concessions are $1 and admission is FREE! The Ghostly Gala goes from 6pm-8pm at the Grand Wayne Center.
Scares if You Dare: Tis the season for screams and frights, and there are plenty of them available!
- Embassy Theatre Paranormal Inquisitors Hunt for the Embassy Ghost - This is hands down the most highly recommended haunt you'll find at Fright Night! The Embassy Theatre Paranormal Hunt is is a rare opportunity for Embassy goers to spend the night at the theater while also doing a little ghost hunting for the famed Embassy Ghost. Ghost-hunters are encouraged to bring their cameras and other equipment for the first-hand paranormal investigation. The cost is $60 and includes the ghost hunt and a t-shirt. You can purchase tickets online at Ticketmaster or at the Embassy Theatre before the Fright Night fun begins.
Movies and More: What fun is the Halloween season without some of the most fun and frightening films?
- Rocky Horror Picture Show - Let's do the Timewarp again! I can't go through an October without watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show AT LEAST once! Going to a screening of Rocky Horror is an experience unlike anything else, and if you've ever been, you know what I;m talking about! this isn't your run of the mill film screening. There's dress-up, props, rice and more (if you're wondering what I'm talking about check out a full list of props and uses here)! This year's screening takes place at the Botanical Conservatory at 8pm. Admission is $1 for ages 3-17 and $2 for adults. Children 17 and younger must be accompanied by an adult (and I would definitely not recommend taking anyone younger than 12 or 13 unless you've seen Rocky Horror before.).
Ghosts, ghouls and zombies - oh my!: There's plenty of zombie-esque fun to be had during Fright Night.
- ACPL Zombie Machine and Zombie Walk - The main attraction for many coming downtown for Fright Night is the Zombie Walk! Come dressed in your best post-Zombie Apocalypse attire, or show up early to be done up by some of the talented makeup artists on hand to make the streets of Fort Wayne look like something out of The Walking Dead. Not only is the Zombie Walk fun, but it is also FREE! The walk starts at 5:30pm, but there are plenty of events leading up to the big walk to keep the zombies at bay. At the ACPL Plaza there will be spooky tunes, food trucks and other fun activities. Then the zombies will be unleashed on the downtown Fort Wayne streets for all to see!