One of Fort Wayne's favorite parks is turning 100 and YOU'RE
invited. Foster Park
Year Celebration event is scheduled for July 27 -28. Below is a schedule of the weekend's events:
- 5 pm - Family Fun Walk Kicks Off: The whole family is invited to join a fun, fitness walk around Foster Park’s two-mile loop. The first 1,000 walkers will receive free wristbands, and paid participants will be entered into door prize drawings. Pre-register online, or you may register the day of the event at 4 pm in Pavilion #2. All participants should check in at Pavilion #2 at 4:30 pm. Fee: $5 per individual or $10 per household to benefit improvements at the Foster Park Flower Gardens.
- 6 pm – FREE Community Picnic: The Southwood Park Neighborhood Association is hosting a picnic at Pavilion #1 (the largest pavilion near the volleyball courts). Free-will offering will be accepted to benefit Foster Park Flower Gardens.
- 6pm – 9:30 pm FREE Sports Activities: Open recreational volleyball for all ages on the volleyball courts (6pm – 9:30 pm); children’s tennis activities (6pm – 7:30pm); Introduction to Pickleball on the tennis courts (7:30pm – 9 pm).
- 6pm – 8:30 pm FREE Carnival: Kids, come out and play carnival games like the ring toss, basketball toss, fish pond, lollipop tree and much more. And learn about 8 Healthy Habits families can undertake to get fit and healthy with Parkview Health’s LiVe program. Free carnival games and LiVe will be located near the playground.
- Special Golf Promotion All Day: Foursomes can play 18 holes with a cart at Foster Park Golf Course for $100. Call 260-427-6735 to reserve your tee time, or reserve online.
- “Rediscover Your Parks” Tours: Have you driven past one of our Legacy Parks and always vowed to stop and explore when you had more time, or are you curious about the history of our older parks? If so, this bus tour is perfect for you! Ride along with a knowledgeable guide and explore Swinney, Foster, Lakeside, McMillen and Memorial Parks, as well as Rudisill Blvd. The stops are all part of the historical George Kessler Park and Boulevard System—the first city plan—which is also celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. Tour buses will depart from Swinney Park at 10 am and 1 pm. The 10 am tour will return to Swinney Park at approximately noon. The 1 pm tour will stop by the Ice Cream Social at Foster Park for a short time and return to Swinney at approximately 3:30 pm. Fee: $10 per adult / $5 per student / Children 14 and under free / $25 maximum per family. Register online by July 25.
- 1 – 3 pm Free Ice Cream Social: Join neighbors and Friends of the Parks of Allen County for some Edy’s ice cream. This event is sponsored by Mr. John Oldenkamp. RSVP to Robin Holley at 260-417-3804 or email her at email@example.com by July 25. Donations are appreciated and will go directly to Foster Park projects.
- Want to support the parks? Donations for the Legacy Trust Fund and Foster 100th Celebration are being accepted online as well.