Cherry Blossom Festival
Sunday, May 18, 2014
Noon - 5:00pm
Opening Ceremony Sunday, May 18, 2014, 12:15 p.m.Featured Artists and Events at the Cherry Blossom Festival
• “Duo Yumeno” dynamic duo of Hikaru Tamaki, cello and Yoko Reikano Kimura, koto/shamisen/voice who are traveling from New York City as a featured event
• Japanese Classical Dance, who are coming from Chicago to perform beautiful dances in the classical tradition with elaborate quick costume changes.
• Minyo Dancers from Indianapolis will display traditional Japanese Folk style dancing in colorful Kimonos
• Fort Wayne Taiko, who has been with the festival from the beginning will open the day at 12 noon.
• Indiana Guitar Trio, led by Dr. Daniel Quinn will perform Japanese guitar music
• Janice Furtner/Dorothy Kittaka, sopranos, “Dueling Divas” will sing Japanese vocal music duets with Irene Ator, pianist
• Farrell Vernon, saxophone, will perform music of Japanese composers
• Suzuki String Orchestra of Fort Wayne will perform Japanese music for the opening ceremony
• Shie Otani, expert in Japanese Tea Ceremony will again grace the festival with the tradition Japanese Tea Ceremony with participation of audience members
• Takaoka, Japan Artwork (65 pieces) by Elementary and Middle School students who participated in FAME’s Fusion of Concert Colors will be exhibited.
• Karaoke, the public
Arts and Crafts of Japan Marketplace:
• Ronia Marie Krieg – Shibori Silk Scarves
• Japanese Saturday School – Accessories, crafts and Japanese souvenir items
• Japancast –Anime T-shirts, kanji artwork
• Creative Women of the World – crafts made by Japanese Tsunami area ladied
• Special New Cherry Blossom Festival T-shirts for Sale
MARTIAL ARTS DEMONSTRATIONS
• Zentai Martial Arts
• Indianapolis Kendo Club
• Decatur Mudokwan
Anime Art! Draw a famous anime character or your own original character for prizes.
Can You Haiku? Students will submit work prior to festival. Finalists from the schools will have their haiku displayed and will be invited to read their haiku at the festival. The public may also compose haiku at the festival for prizes.
CosPlay Competition! Students may wear costumes depicting their favorite anime character for prizes.TASTE OF JAPAN
Toyko Seoul Restaurant, Sushi.
Woo’s Oriental Grocery & Mart, Japanese candies, drinks, ice cream, crackers etc. HANDS-ON AND/OR DEMONSTRATIONS OF JAPANESE ACTIVITIES
Bonsai by the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club
Japanese Goldfish Catch
Japanese-themed “Make and Take”, ACPL Children’s Services
Origami Demonstration and Hands-on sessions, Mike Schmid, Art educator/artist and Janice Furtner, artist/musician
Japanese-influenced Face Painting by Tag Company
For more information contact Dorothy Kittaka, firstname.lastname@example.org, (260) 432-7780
Allen County Public Library Downtown
900 Library Plaza