If you're anything like me, you like to check out the restaurant scene when visiting a new city. You gotta eat, right? But not just any restaurant will do--because of my vegetarian diet. Although Fort Wayne loves its meat (Shigs n' Pit, anyone?), there are plenty of places where vegetable-based dishes steal the show. Here's where to eat vegetarian well in the Summit City:
- Loving Cafe: This one is a gimme, as this place offers vegetarian and vegan cuisine exclusively. And man, is it good! I recommend one of their tofu stir frys and an order of spring rolls. I have meat-eating friends who love this place, which is a hige compliment. Insider's Note: This place closes early, so you might want to stop by for lunch.
- Baan Thai: Ethnic food is known to be versatile, and Baan Thai is no exception. You can order any dish with tofu. I recommend their green or red curry. Top it off with an order of their coconut ice-cream.
- Taj Mahal: Along with Thai, Indian is also known to be a favorite of vegetarians. If you're indecisive, be sure to try their lunch buffet. You can enjoy a few classics without the commitment of ordering a full portion.
- 3 Rivers Co-op: The co-op is a mecca for those with discerning palettes. Browse their natural foods grocery and then refuel at their cafe. Choose from selections from their hot bar, salad bar and deli. If you have some time, make yourself at home in their seating area, or take your meal to go.
- Flat Top Grill: Have it your way at Flat Top. It's easy to follow a meatless diet here, because you build your own stir-fry. They have pretty much any vegetable you want, as well as a selection of tofu products. A wide variety of yummy sauces means no two dishes are the same.
In short, eating vegetarian doesn't mean boring salads. Discover a wide variety of delicious, meat-free cuisine in Fort Wayne. You won't be sorry!