This event derives its roots from the Italian tradition of street painting. Artists reserve their space prior to the event and use pastels, chalk and in some cases liquid chalk paints to create their works of art. The only catch here is unfortunately these works are short-lived. Be sure to take a look before the next rain comes this summer and washes them away.
The Chalk Walk display is located right outside the Fort Wayne Museum of Art, located in the heart of downtown at 321 Main Street. The Chalk Walk also contains a contest component. Prizes will be awarded following a vote by a panel of judges. Artists are creating works that align with the following categories:
- Trompe l’oeil - French for "fool the eye"
- FWMoA's 30th Anniversary in Downtown Fort Wayne
- The Golden Age of American Bicycles
- Depictions of FWMoA Outdoor Sculpture
- Best Use of a Street Blemish (only for those with cracks and manhole covers in their square)
- People’s Choice (voted by the attending public)