It is undeniable that the gluten-free diet is becoming a permanent fixture in our culture. Some folks, like me, must eat gluten free because we have Celiac Disease or have a gluten/wheat allergy. While others find that a gluten free diet improves their health and/or quality of life. Regardless of why, gluten-free is here to stay.
If you are in Fort Wayne and looking for places to buy gluten-free products and supplies you will not be disappointed. There are several good options. Getting the hang of cooking and eating gluten-free at home is a key first step in instituting a gluten-free life. I find that shopping at small specialty shops that spotlight gluten-free products, rather than the large box stores, makes it easier to get what you need without the temptation of your old wheat-tainted favorites. Once you figure out how to eat dinner at home it makes it easier to tackle restaurant eating. It is a process!
Here are the top 5 businesses in Fort Wayne that sell gluten-free products. They are in no particular order, as I highly recommend and shop at them all regularly.
- The Three Rivers Co-op Natural Grocery & Deli (the “Co-op”). Located at 1613 Sherman Street in Fort Wayne, the Coop offers a complete selection of organic vegetables and fruit, gluten-free baking, cooking, and snacking supplies, including both frozen and fresh. It is exciting to see so many gluten-free options in one place! If you are looking for flour, chips, noodles, bread, ice cream, sweets, or crackers the Co-op has it. The Co-op also has a large section devoted to supplements and nutrients, a selection of gluten-free beers, and a deli/cafe that is open daily. The Co-op is open Monday through Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- The Health Food Shoppe. Located at 3515 North Anthony Blvd (next to Firefly Coffee House) in Fort Wayne and open Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., is a great source for gluten-free cooking and snacking options. The Health Food Shoppe has an extensive offering of fresh vegetables and fruit, snacks, boxed items, and healthy nutrients and supplements.
- Fort Wayne Custom Rx. Custom Rx is a compounding pharmacy located at 414 East DuPont Road in Fort Wayne. Custom Rx is locally owned and operated by a family that adheres to a gluten-free lifestyle. On the pharmacy’s website they highlight Celiac Disease and gluten-free living. The pharmacy offers a small but excellent selection of gluten-free cooking, baking, and snacking supplies. Since the selection is small the ownership have taken great care to sell the best products. It is a great place to get your Amy’s, Pamela’s, or Glutino products, among others. This is an especially great option for folks who live in northern Allen County. Custom Rx is open Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Grabill Country Store. The Grabill Store is one of my favorite places in Allen County. Located in Grabill at 13813 Fairview Drive the Grabill Store has everything that a traditional bulk store should, including an Amish run deli and bakery. The Grabill Store also has a gluten-free section of baking supplies and a bakery that will bake gluten-free breads on request (call ahead). If you are looking for a variety of flours to experiment with then the Grabill Store is a great place to visit.
- Fresh Market. Fresh Market is a great grocery store, although it is my only recommendation that is not locally owned and operated. It is located at 6306 West Jefferson Blvd in Fort Wayne and as you probably know is a full service grocery store. Fresh Market offers a wide variety of naturally gluten-free fruit, vegetables, and meat. It also offers many different canned, boxed, and bagged gluten-free options to enjoy. It was at Fresh Market that I discovered Tasty Bite all natural, vegetarian, and gluten-free Indian entrees (some are not gluten-free, so read the bag) that all cook in 90 seconds in the microwave. It is a major victory when you find something you truly love. Fresh Market is open Monday through Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Good luck to you as you shop gluten-free in Fort Wayne!