Each year since, thousands of people line Main Street the Wednesday evening during festival week to watch beds race down the two block course. This year’s Bed Race will begin at 6:00 pm on Wednesday, July 18, 2012.
The rules for the race:
- Each bed must have at least three wheels
- Each bed must have 4 runners/pushers and 1 rider
- Single elimination, bracket style format
- Beds race on Main Street from Harrison to the cross-walk between Courthouse and the Ed Rousseau Center
Tips for watching:
- Get There Early. The street won’t close until 5:30 pm but people will begin grabbing spots along Main Street by 5:00 pm. If you want to watch from a specific location, I recommend getting there early.
- Bring Your Own Lawn Chairs. If you’re lucky enough to get a spot on the curb, a blanket will do, but definitely bring something to sit on because you won’t want to be standing for the almost two hours of racing.
- Stay Hydrated. The last few years, it has been hot! Definitely bring some cold water for you and your family.
- Sunscreen or Shade. Be sure to wear sunscreen and if you are looking to get out of the sun, sit on the north side of the street, which remains shaded.
- Eat Dinner Outside. Whether you bring your own dinner or stop at Pint & Slice or Coney Island, make an evening of it and picnic on the sidewalk. If you’re thinking Coney Island though, be prepared for a long wait as almost everyone is thinking the same thing.
- Bring Some Cash and Support the Mustard Seed. You can vote for your favorite bed by making a donation as volunteers walk around with jars. Each jar is designated for a specific bed and the bed with the most donations wins People’s Choice. They aren’t the only winners, since all donations will support the Mustard Seed’s Beds 4 Kids.
Regardless of where you sit or which bed you’re cheering for, you and your family are bound to have fun. For us, it’s become one of our favorite summer traditions that we’ve volunteered for, ran in and now watch year after year.
- – - – - – - – - – - -
Three Rivers Festival
Friday, July 13, 2012 – Saturday, July 21, 2012
Indiana’s second largest festival offers 9 days of fun for the entire family! From the opening day parade, arts, crafts, amusement rides, and International Village, to live music, the Bed Race, and the all-new RiverGames Water Wars and canoe races, Three Rivers Festival brings family-friendly fun to the heart of downtown Fort Wayne!
Location: Headwaters Park – Downtown Fort Wayne
For additional information, please visit the Three Rivers Festival website.