Moving Checklist – Don’t forget these details!
Finalize real estate or rental needs.
Notify your children’s schools of the move and contact new schools for enrollment information.
Obtain copies of school records, or have them sent to new schools.
Obtain copies of medical records for each family member.
Ask doctors to recommend doctors in your new community.
Consult insurance agents to find out if changes to policies are necessary.
Alert utility companies to disconnect services the day after you move and to have new service activated several days before you arrive at your new house.
Contact the chamber of commerce in your new town for information on utility services.
- Cable/satellite television
- Cell phone service
- Internet/ broadband
- Local phone service
- Long distance phone service
- Recycling pick-up
- Security system
- Trash pick-up
File change of address (at minimum, file a Temporary Change of Address with the U.S. to give you time to notify others) People who might need change of address include:
- Alumni associations
- Babysitter/ child care provider
- Banks (auto loans, checking accounts, credit cards, home equity, IRA, mortgage, safe deposit box, savings account)
- Business cards (order new ones)
- Cell phone provider
- Child care/ daycare
- Courts, especially for traffic tickets or local disputes
- Credit bureaus
- Credit card issuers
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Diaper service
- Dry cleaning pick-up and delivery
- Family members
- Health clubs
- House cleaning service
- House of worship
- IRS (form 8822)
- Lawn care
- Luggage tags
- Magazine subscriptions
- New business cards
- New employer
- Newspaper subscriptions
- Old employer
- Parent-teacher association
- Pet sitter/ dog walker/ pet day care
- Pharmacy (get year-to-date expense summary for taxes)
- Physical therapist
- Post office
- Professional organizations
- Retirement plan holders
- Return address labels
- Snow removal service
- Social Security Administration
- Swimming pool maintenance (pool cleaning, pool opening or closing)
- Swimming pool memberships
- Veterinarian (get vet records and recommendations)
- Water delivery service